Apple and Blackberry Compote.
We arrived home in early October from picking blackberries and my little 7 month old son was eagerly looking at the berries, after washing them I decided to make him a treat of steamed apple and berry purée, this recipe is full of flavour and is ideal as a snack in the evening for baby or added in with their rice or porridge in the morning, for natural sweetness I added agave syrup.
Ingredients (4 portions)
2 sweet eating apple, peeled cored and diced
150g ripe blackberries
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 tbsp agave syrup
- Steam the apples for about 8 minutes, stir in the blackberries and steam for a further 4 minutes until the berries are soft
- puree the mixture in a food processor, pass through a sieve to remove the seeds,
- stir in the vanilla extract and agave syrup
- Freeze in individual portions and when needed thaw overnight in the fridge.
- To boost calcium content, you can make apple and blackberry fool by combining 2 – 3 tablespoons of puree with 2 tablespoons of full fat vanilla yogurt,chill until ready to serve